St. Nicholas
The Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas is the largest medieval parish church in Ireland still in constant use. It was built in c. 1320 on the site of an earlier chapel. A this time the chancel, transepts, and nave were built. During the 16th century, when Galway's prosperity was at its height, the church was extended and the aisles to the north and south were added, along with the south transept,the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, and the belfry. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas , a 4th century Bishop of Myra in Lycia. Although he is best known today as the patron saint of children or "Santa Claus", during the middle ages he was more commonly revered as the patron saint of sailors. This is why churches dedicated to him are commonly found in medieval seaport towns such as Galway. In 1652, after a nine month long siege, the town was taken by Cromwellian forces. By popular tradition they destroyed many of the features of the church, along with using the building as a stable for their horses.
Galway Cathedral
Sarah and I attended 6:00 mass tonight. The service was much more traditional than the catholic church back home. Awesome experience being in such a massive building listening to a moving sermen. This Cathedral can hold up to 2,000 people!!!
Looks like so far you're having a good time. Keep us updated and I hope you get to start teaching sometime soon.
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Aunt Paulette
The experience so far has been limited due to weather conditions, but fun. Im glad Im here! The schools were suppose to reopen today but the slush on the roads froze again causing the roadways to shut down. The wind is blowing quite hard and no sign of sunshine at least for today anyway. I never thought I would say this, but I will be glad to get back to work :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for checking out the blog. I hope you guys enjoy it.
Love you! xoxo
Kayla you have to finish the night with a good chipper (fish and chip shop) also wen you start teaching do not use the word SHIFT in relation to people; that ones to make out. Sorry weather sucks; Jarlath
ReplyDeleteWell hello friend. I will definately not say the word shift in conversation at school. I'm not sure what it means (if you wouldn't mind filling me in) but have a hard time believing it would come up in conversation. The weather is much more enjoyable today. The weatherman said the worse is over, but you know those dang weatherman you can never trust them. Which Fish and Chip (Im assuming french fries) shop (as in restaurant) would you recommend?
ReplyDelete