Sunday, January 10, 2010

"We went out last night.." - Kenny Chesney

Last night Sarah and I went out with the host families youngest daughter Mel to try out what the Ireland nightlife had to offer. Let me sum it up with two words, not much. The Irish are not as friendly to Americans during the nighttime. I wanted to meet some people and try to create some sort of social life while I am here, but this is going to be a quite bigger challanged than originally thought. Also, the clubs here are like wanna be nightclubs in Vegas by listening to American music and creating the same type of atmosphere, but the lights are all on and there is every age from 18-60 walking around since the drinking age is 18. A little different, but good I guess. Its hard to compare something to home (the party capital of the world) so instead I am taking it for what it is and not trying to make it something that it is not. To say the least I probably won't be going out on the town very often.

My main goal of the evening was to try Irish alcohol. For starters I wanted to try at least one Irish Coffee, Irish Whiskey, and Irish Beer.
-The Irish coffee was obviously coffee and alcohol. I usually do not drink alcohol but when I do I prefer it by itself not mixed with another drink or food but I thought hey I'm in Ireland I have to at least try the coffee while I am here... I hated it but stomached about 1/3 of it down.






















The Irish whiskey was the best, Jameson was the choice of the night. I was expecting an after taste, but this whiskey was smooth and absolutely delicious. In fact I had a couple shots of it but being at sea level I remained totally sober the entire night. DAMN IT!















Irish Beer of choice was Guiness... DISCUSTING!! I had one sip of this from Sarah and that was plenty for me. To thick with a really horrible after taste. It reminds me of something you would bake with, almost a syrup of some sort.


















By the end of the night, only 3 hours later, around midnight I reverted back to the American way finishing the night off with a Coors Light (not my first choice but the only thing that sounded familiar). To finish the night off the American way we stopped at the Mickey D's before hitching a ride home. The food tasted like cardboard and way over priced. A 6 piece chicken nugget meal was 7 Euro which is about 10 dollars at home. I had to try it... just once :)
















Aside from the alcohol the pubs are absolutely amazing here. One of them is called the Keys. This pub was actually an old church which later was converted into a pub. The old stained glass and alter still remain in the building. Because it was a Saturday night most of the pubs were packed so I did not get to take many pictures.. yanno being too touristy can get you in trouble.




In order to get into a club or a pub for free/discounted price you must find a stamper, which is a person walking around down town that either stamps your hand or hands out stickers. We found a couple stampers and got our hand stamped since we had no clue on where we wanted to go.


This is me arriving home at the end of the night. The snow had landed on the tree infront of the house so perfectly that it looked as if it were to belong in a fantasy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment