Thursday, January 7, 2010

Walking ...Walking... Walking...

This morning Sarah and I were to meet our advisor at 1:00pm at a pub called Oslo. Very cute place, but the 45 minute walk there was even more breath taking. On our journey to Oslo we walked down a marvelous hill down to the promonade, aka beach pier. Sarah and I both agreed that an individual could lose track of time down there just admiring the sites (ocean, rocks, buildings, wildlife, etc). This location will be the spot for brisk walks and light jogs.




Getting back to meeting with the advisor, he is pleasant but slow in pace, as I find with most citizens in Galway. Folks here seem to say up until 12 or 1 in the morning and do not arise out of bed until around 9 or 10. I think I can adjust to the sleeping in part, but the slow pace will be more of a challenge to engage in. Any who, he let us know that we will not be going to our schools until next Wednesday, but we should be teaching soon after that. He was not quite sure what day we would start possibly Thursday, Friday or maybe even the week after. Don't these people have a plan? organization? a timeline? WOW! AMAZED how people function, but hey it has its perks. For example Sarah and I went and ate our first meal at the place below, and found it to be quite the experience.



When you walk into a restaurant here first of all they do not turn on the heaters very much so they are chilly, you seat yourself, order as usual, and then when finished you are expected to walk up to the bar and pay for your food. Most of the restaurants go off of the honor system you do not receive a bill. The one nice thing about the country though is that tax is included in the price so whatever you see on the price tag is the price that you pay no gimmicks here ladies and gentlemen. I opted to have bacon and cabbage. Oh my goodness talk about a good meal. I could eat this stuff every day of my life. All the food here seems to be fresh and surprisingly amazing. The cabbage melts in your mouth and the bacon is more like a ham steak. Thank you to the Miller Family to introducing me to the dish cabbage and noodles which changed my outlook on cabbage. I now enjoy cabbage very much.

After lunch we did a bit more walking around. We crossed over the central canal in the city, and saw some beautiful catholic churches along with a central park called Eyre Square. This square is located in what I call the pedestrian side of town. All of the streets are blocked off and used only for pedestrian crossing. On either side of the roads are shops where we did our fair share of window shopping.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayla! Pretty long flight, eh! Ireland looks lovely. I'm so glad you have the opportunity to visit. The Scotts in Aberdeen that I met said the people of ireland are some of the most friendly people you will ever meet. Es & I will be following you during your stay so take lots of pictures.See the sites and enjoy the people.
    Take care...
    Smiths in Alaska

    ReplyDelete